At the heart of ISR’s success is a rare breed of research scientists contributing to major changes in the world by combining the discipline and skills of scholars with the innovative spirit of academic entrepreneurs. In order to attract, nurture, and retain these individuals, we must establish:
- Partially endowed research chairs.
- “Folding” or temporary chairs to recruit stellar, early-career faculty destined to become leaders in their respective fields.
- Small but crucial research and travel grants or summer support for promising junior faculty.
- An emeritus faculty small grant program to leverage the immense expertise of our “retired” faculty, often with the help of graduate students and junior faculty collaborators.
- Mutually beneficial joint hires with U-M academic departments.