The Institute for Social Research (ISR) announces the availability of a dissertation fellowship for a graduate student in the Michigan Program in Survey Methodology (MPSM) for the 2016-2017 academic year. The purpose of the fellowship is to support a doctoral student in MPSM writing his or her dissertation on a project at the intersection of survey methodology and psychology.
Beginning with the 2014-2015 award, the Fellowship will support students in MPSM and Psychology in alternate years.
The 2017-2018 award will be open to Ph.D. Candidates in Psychology.
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- the quality of the dissertation project,
- the strength of letters of recommendation,
- the ability of the student to finish his/her dissertation by end of the term of the award (usually summer of the following year).
Applicants must be candidates and must have completed all the requirements for a Ph.D. in the MPSM except the dissertation defense. Preference will be given to students early in the writing process.
The award provides a stipend of $22,000, usually over 12 months. The recipient can elect to begin the award during the Spring/Summer or Fall 2016 term.
Applications should include:
- An up-to-date academic transcript
- A current CV
- Two letters of recommendation that address the strengths of the dissertation project. One must be from the dissertation advisor.
- A brief [three-page] description of the project, timeline, relationship to the work at ISR, and any relationship it has with the work of Daniel Katz.
Applications are accepted in both electronic and hard copy format. Send electronic applications to Jennifer Puckett in pdf (portable document format). Hard copy applications should be sent to or dropped off at 6065 ISR (Campus Mail 1248).
Note, letters of recommendation may be sent directly by the recommender in either electronic or hard copy format.
The deadline for submission is Friday, February 26, 2016 at 4:00 pm for the award starting in Fall 2016. The winner will be notified by March 31, 2016.
David Lee, 2015
Christopher Antoun, 2014
George Smith, 2013
Ryan Bremner, 2012
Nina Strohminger, 2011
Igor Grossmann, 2010
Heather Fuller-Iglesias, 2008
Nicholas Bowman, 2007
Justin Jager, 2006
Katherine Fiori, 2005
Shawna Lee, 2004
Janxin Leu, 2003