ISR’s scientific mission is threefold:
- to plan and conduct rigorous social science research
- to disseminate the findings of this research, and
- to train future generations of social scientists.
We believe our organizational diversity is closely linked to our ability to carry out our scientific mission. So we strive to foster an environment that enables a diverse set of scientists, staff, and students to contribute their full potential to help achieve excellence.
To accomplish these goals, we:
- Promote greater diversity among scientists, staff, and students, including greater gender, racial and ethnic representation at all levels of the organization.
- Foster an environment in which all employees and students are inspired to do their best, strengthened by their different perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences.
- Ensure that no employee’s or student’s growth, achievement, or advancement is hindered because of race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, family status, or personal characteristics unrelated to his or her ability to complete job duties or coursework.
- Hold ourselves to a standard of inclusion and opportunity that serves as a model for the rest of the University of Michigan.
- Promote core values of equal protection, equal opportunity, equal access, and inclusion in all our actions and initiatives.
We have adopted this Mission Statement because we want to:
- Attract and retain the best scientists, staff and students by making every effort to increase the pool of diverse applicants.
- Benefit from a variety of different perspectives in conducting and disseminating the results of our research.
- Increase our potential, effectiveness, and creativity as a research organization by offering the broadest possible range of approaches to addressing issues and solving problems.
- Prepare our students to become leaders in an increasingly multicultural society and world.